Monday, December 14, 2009

Myer




I now work at Myer Frankston, the major department store in my town, Frankston. There are interesting people at work. Like, most of the population, most of my colleagues are unbelievers. There are some who believe though. There is a Greek orthodox Christian guy who goes out with a Catholic Australian girl of Malaysian Chinese origin.

In my department, there’s this 17 year old blond kid who told me his mom had him when she was 16. I’m not sure if his parents are married. He told me about how he broke up with his last girlfriend. He asked her out after meeting her once. He told me about how for people his age, a four month relationship is a pretty long one. He’s a nice enough lad. He let me swap shifts with him so I could go for life group and church. I’m not sure how I can reach him, all I know is he needs Jesus.

I’ll tell you a secret. I’m afraid. I’m uneasy about evangelizing to people at work. I’ve conquered the fear of evangelizing to friends but I have not overcome the fear of evangelizing to colleagues or strangers. But yesterday I invited blondie to church for Christmas service. As per usual, a non-committal response typifies our generation. He may have family plans so its justified. I’ve done my bit, now its up to God to bring him to church.

There’s this other guy. He’s 23 like me. He’s worked at the home entertainment department for 2 years now. He’s a nice guy, teaching us how all the processes work. In Myer, I’m the only non-Australian around. There are 2 Chinese Australians and 1 Sri Lankan Australian so you can see how I would stick out. Anyways, yesterday this guy, lets call him spiky, told me he enjoys Christmas because his girlfriend buys him lots of gifts. I asked him if his girlfriend has a lot of money and he said, ‘Of course she does. She’s a stripper’. To say I was unprepared for that was an understatement but I kept my composure and said ‘oh, OK’ in as casual a manner as I could. I lack the boldness to evangelize to him. I echo Paul as I pray.

19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. (Ephesians 6)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Step. It's a great journal. U have a fantastic opportunity to mingle and learn to understand your local culture now. That's great! Believe it or not, in some context evangelising might not mean we have to open our mouth and preach immediately. Take time in sowing and investing into their lives, be a good salt and light. When the right time comes, u'll know what to do and say :O)

    How have u been by the way...

    Hi from the winter wonderland :O)))

    ReplyDelete