Monday, August 24, 2009

Alms for the Poor

An issue that sparks some debate among people. When a beggar comes to you and asks for money, do you give? The argument for not giving is that they will never learn how to find a job, they will use the money for drugs, alcohol, etc...

The argument for giving is that God only commands us to love people and be kind to the poor (as opposed to overanalysing every moral action we take). What the poor actually do with the money is between them and God. Just like in Les Miserables where Bishop Myriel actually protects Jean Valjean, the man who just robbed him of his silverware, from the authorities. (Actually, that doesn't apply to this scenario. But its a cool story.)

An idea came to me awhile ago but I haven't actually put it into action. The idea is: whenever people ask me for change, I would first give them a tract, ask them to read it and then give them the money.

Hopefully their consciences would lead them to read the tract and God would use the tract to speak to them.

I just stuffed two of the Navigators' 'Bridge' tracts into my wallet. Lets see how we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment