Sunday, January 10, 2010

Will wonders ever cease? I think not.

As Christians we have the power of God dwelling within us. We have the power and authority of God to create miracles. I'm beginning to believe more and more that every Christian can have access to any of the spiritual gifts. The only difference being the level of anointing, authority and "office" that the Christian has. I recently read a book by Dr David Yonggi Cho (pastor of the largest church in the world, located in Korea) who wrote about this.

To every Christian out there who doubts, I tell you this... I am living testimony that miracles in today's day and age are possible. Not only possible, but like Bill Johnson says, it should be a NORM.

I've slowly trained myself to believe this. Every time I meet a person who is sick, I will often pray for them to be well. Sometimes the miracle is discernible to the human eye, sometimes the miracle happens later or sometimes, God does not want a miracle to occur there and then.

Personally, I am very motivated by the verse John 9:3 “It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “This happened so the power of God could be seen in him (NLT).
Jesus disciples asked Jesus why a man was born blind. Was it the sin of his parents or his own sin? They had perfectly good Biblical basis for thinking that way. But Jesus said This happened so the power of God could be seen in him.

So I go out into the world and I pray for people with sickness or injury with this motivation. That the power of God would be revealed.

Now just 3 days ago, I visited a friend of mine. He had a pulled hamstring and was in great pain. He could barely walk and he couldn't straighten his leg. I was filled with compassion (just like Jesus, heheh) and I was thinking of different ways to help him. Take him to the doctor? No. Ask Kelvin my physio friend to help him? No. Then just before I left, I realized, what a doofus I am. I should pray. It was hard because my friend was a non-Christian and I had evangelized to him once and it was hands down the WORST evangelism I've ever done as I was a bit too passionate and it made things awkward.

So I asked him if I could pray and he said yes. Then I told him because most people don't realize that I want to pray for him right now. He was a bit confused and asked me if I wanted to kiss his leg or something. I made a joke about how filthy his leg was.

I believe that we should lay hands on the injured part if possible. Speak clearly in English (not in tongues) and speak with authority, commanding the sickness to leave. We shouldn't talk like "beggars" according to Dr Yonggi Cho.

The difficult part was getting my heart right with God. I had boldness in my armory but sometimes my heart isn't right before God. There are two temptations.

  1. Cynicism - a position of unfaith thinking that it won't work anyways but I'll give it a shot.
  2. Overconfidence/Arrogance - expecting it to work, sort of feeling entitled to a miracle, treating God like a miracle machine/genie
You don't actually intentionally want to think or feel in those ways but the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. You need to have an imputed faith.

At that moment, I got down on my knees and prayed holding the injured leg with my hands. I had peace and confidence in my spirit. I prayed out loud in clear sentences. Rebuking the sickness and praying for the restoration of the injury. I also made sure that I always said, "In Jesus' name", invoking the power of Jesus' name so that the power is Jesus' and not mine.

I stood up and asked him how he felt. He said, 'thanks so much for praying for me. The pain is still there. But... wait a minute. It actually feels a little better'. I said, that's a good sign. Shall I keep on praying? He said OK.

I prayed again, asking for complete healing. Same procedure. I stood up again. This time his eyes opened wide in amazement. He said, "Wow" with a bit of a stutter. He was amazed. As cool as you like, I asked, 'what happened?'. He said, 'LOOK AT THIS' as he straightened his leg. 'The pain is almost all gone. Its a huge improvement!' as he walked around the room. I said, 'Amen. Praise God'. I asked him to document the rate of healing in percentage. He said after the first prayer it was 5% improvement, after the second prayer - 60%!!! I prayed a third time and he said there was no discernible difference but he was still super thankful and amazed. He said thank you so much. He said, 'Your praying is amazing' which I laughed off and said, no, its not about my prayer. Its about God's power.

Now the door is open. I will bring the gospel to him soon.

I urge you, dear reader, move in the supernatural. Move in healing. Crucify your pride and fear and take a leap of faith. It can open doors and hearts of people to come to Christ.

I praise God and rejoice! He has done a great thing today! He has brought glory and honour to his great name! Amen.




FUN FACT: I've seen three 'clear' miracles in the last 3 years, and they were all leg injuries!!!

2008: I prayed for this non-Christian guy at Monash whilst at his home. I prayed 3 times and his leg got increasingly better. His limp disappeared at the end of the prayers.

2009: I prayed for this guy in my life group when I was mentoring him at his home. He had a leg sprain and limp. I prayed 3 times as well. His limp disappeared and the pain was gone by the following morning.

2010: I prayed for my friend at his home. He had a pulled, possibly torn hamstring had a limp and could not straighten his leg. I prayed 3 times. The 3rd prayer had no discernible effect but the limp disappeared, he could straighten his leg and 60% of the pain disappeared.

Dude, if I can do it. So can YOU!!! There's nothing special about me. I still sin. I still stuff up. My walk with God could be better. But I choose to live by faith. You should try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment